Friday, October 16, 2009

Energy

Energy is a curious thing. It seems like I am always trying to figure out how to have more energy. My latest unexpected discovery is this; I am way off when it comes to what I think will give me more energy.
Normally, I figure that I need to give myself more "down time" so that I can recharge my battery, then, I will have more energy. Down time usually consists of, TV time, couch time, Computer time, etc. Recently, I have discovered that going for a walk with the kids or kicking the ball around gives me more energy than couch time. My best excuse for not doing those things has always been, "I just don't have the energy, I am too tired." I never realized that running around and playing with the kids would actually give me more energy than it required. Who knew?
The other thing that I typically think after a long and somewhat sleepless night is that I should sleep in. "Sleeping in" for a Mom is merely just lying in bed for an extra thirty minutes to an hour and then rushing around trying to get everything done that you need to get done before you get your kids out the door. Make breakfast, pack lunches, argue about which outfits they can wear and how white tennis shoes don't look good with church dresses, brush teeth, do hair, lecture about the crying and complaining while doing hair, finding matching socks, finding shoes, tying shoes, filling water bottle and backpacks and coaxing children out the door only to miss the bus and end up driving them to the school.

At least that is how it usually goes for me.

So . . . I have decided that sleeping in is overrated. Do you know what is really worth it. Getting up! It gives me so much more energy than sleeping in. Who knew?

Again, who knew?

The problem with my discoveries is that I usually end up rediscovering them many times over. How to make it stick?? That is the real problem.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I used to think that the extra 30 minutes would somehow give me more energy when it just makes me more tired and grumpy that I had to get up.
    I think the BIGGEST recharge for me is just walking to the mail box with the baby or baking goodies to give away or sitting and reading to the baby.
    I remember my mission president saying that the hardest part of a mission is getting out of bed and that to wake up on time and be ready to go will improve your day in unknown ways. So far, I would have to agree with that. I think there is also an added bonus to playing with your kids... you get to be that super-fun-and-awesome-mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!
    Mine is the going to bed too late. The excuse is that at night I get the quiet me time. BUT I'd have to say sleep does way more for me than staying awake really doing nothing. Yet it happens again and again. Don't get me wrong, that me time is important, but not to the extreme of going to bed at midnight or later when the kids bedtime is 7:00!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers