Friday, April 16, 2010

MOMents

Yesterday was the kind of day that no one tells you about before you are a parent. It was the kind of day that included, parasites, diaper rashes, ear infections, total strip down and clean of the entire house, laundry, laundry, and more laundry, excessive hand washing, sore ankles, and the like. In these moments I am tempted to wish away this time in my life. I am being humbled and taught much about service and sacrifice. I am coming to realize that it is my privilege to serve my family. The mundane things that I do from day to day are truly testaments of love. I could very easily go about my duties begrudgingly, but doing so would be to miss out on a beautiful experience. The Savior truly loved and served those around him. He was not above any task, why should I be? What better way to learn this lesson than by being a Mother. I believe that it was by design that women be required this kind of service to learn charity and to share the love of the Savior to all those around them. In this light, there are so many small and simple things that are great rewards to me. Small and simple moments that my heart is open and filled. Moments like the following:



The way that Adam looks at me. He loves me so unconditionally and depends on me for everything. We have a special bond that was born of the difficulty that he has had with communicating. (Not to mention he is my only son) I was his only ally in life when no one else could understand him. He trusts me completely. Our time together each night before he goes to bed is so special to both of us. He is my little man. (That is me under there)






The sheer joy of interacting with my Baby. There is something so natural about the love that you feel for your baby. They are so innocent and everything is new to them. You provide them with everything they need on a daily basis. A baby fills your cup in a way that nothing else can.

Feeling their soft squishy skin, hearing their first attempts at words, listening to their babble, seeing the world through their eyes, watching them learn to roll over, crawl, stand, walk and then run! What an amazing learning process. Seeing the sense of accomplishment written all over their little faces.



Watching my oldest child grow up and become so many things that I have tried to teach and emulate and so much more. Watching her care for her younger siblings and assume the role of the oldest that I am so familiar with. Seeing her mature and think for herself. It's hard to describe.




Seeing my children develop their own personalities, their own likes and dislikes, their own thoughts, their own emotions. They are, after all, individuals, little adults. It is the ultimate curiosity. I can think of few things more fun, be it a trip around the world or a fancy career. Few things are more fun than watching in awe as your children become themselves.



Funny moments that make us all giggle. Giggling children are contagious no matter what kind of mood that you are in.



Watching the older ones literally blossom into beautiful young ladies. Watching their hair grow, their faces change shape, and their bodies get taller and thinner. Listening to them read and watching them write sentences and creative stories. It is incredible to see.








Seeing the love that my husband has as a Father for his children. Being able to give him that experience. There are no words.



Experiencing the ups and downs of this great adventure with my best friend in life. The looks that we give each other when we are at our wits end, the bursts of laughter when things could not get more chaotic, the sorrows and vulnerability we share when we are faced with trials, the happiness and joy we feel equally over our children, the day in and day out chores that we juggle, the dreams, the hopes, the memories.




Just this week . . .

It was a really hard week. I got very little sleep, I WORKED ALL. DAY. EVERY. DAY. These are just a few of the moments that I would have missed.


*The surprising amount of gratification and accomplishment I felt when Adam finally said the letter sounds for L and G. It was as if I had passed a major exam or gotten an enormous pay raise.*


*When Adam came to me and said, "Momma, I have sugar in my eyes." (sand from the park)*



*Adam running to me while I was in the shower shouting, "Flower Doctor!" It was the only way he could think of to tell me that there was someone at the door with flowers. (from my sweet husband - another moment I would have missed)*



*Rachel's best lie about what the nurse said when she allegedly went to the nurse at school. "Well, I'm just not quite sure what to do about that" in her best nurse voice.*



*Claire's cute little lips making out the shape of the word "Eeeew!"*



*Adam surprising me with the knowledge of all of his letter sounds! He calls every letter a G but knows all of the sounds. Shock!* The letter G says . . . A, The letter G says . . . Puh, the letter G says . . . Buh, The letter G says Cuh . . ." *

*The way that Adam reaches up with his little hand and very abruptly turns my face toward his when I am on the computer.*


*Rachel reasoning about the plan of Salvation or why we need to tell the truth. She is such a deep thinker and comes up with questions and thoughts that blow my mind.*


*The way that Audrey came in last night from her date with her Daddy to the Miller outdoor theatre filled with energy and actually beaming! She was sipping a soda out of an old fashioned bottle with a straw. Her hair with its blonde streaks was wind blown and long down her back. Her cheeks were rosie from the chill in the air. She looked and felt more grown up than I think I have ever seen her.*



There are many days that it does not feel natural for me to be a Mother. It is hard work and sometimes I have a terrible attitude. The more time that goes on, and the more that is required of me, I realize that this role is completely necessary for me in this life. There is not better way for me to learn to be humble, to learn to serve, and to learn gratitude.

I feel blessed to be a Mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers