Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rally the Troops!

A new day has arrived at the carter home! I am no longer alone! I now have a little army of cleaners at my disposal if I will only take the time to train them. The days of cleaning my whole house by myself from top to bottom while my kids watch TV are over. Now we blast music throughout the house and everyone gets a job. The kids actually really enjoy helping! I have been amazed at what the kids are able to do!

Rachel helped with drying and putting away dishes. Age 5

Rachel and Adam were given windex wipes to clean the windows and mirrors. (Windex wipes work much better for kids because they can't spray the whole bottle of windex on one window!)
Adam, Age 2
Audrey vacuumed the stairs! Hallelujah (I hate vacuuming stairs). She also vacuumed the other rooms in the house. age 7
I have really had to change my attitude about teaching the kids to help. I have learned some great lessons in the book that I am reading "The parenting Breakthrough." by Merrilee Browne Boyak. She says "parents who nurture too much convey messages like this to your children: You can't do this because - You are not smart enough.
You're not reliable enough.
You're not old enough.
You're not responsible enough.
You're just a child.
I don't trust you.
I don't believe in you.
You're not capable of taking care of yourself.
The quality of your work is inadequate.
Moms do all the work.

On the flip side she says:

"The best self-esteem for children comes from being able to do things on their own."

"In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings." Ann Landers

So, teaching my kids to do work builds self confidence! When put into action I was amazed at how the mood in my home changed. Instead of feeling like I was alone cleaning in circles while the kids destroyed things behind me, I felt like we were on a team, having fun and working together. We work hard together before noon and then we can do something fun for the rest of the day!


A list of age appropriate tasks to follow next post!

2 comments:

  1. This is SUCH A GOOD POST! you are amazing. I am going to get my hands on that book. Can't wait for the next post...how long do I have to wait? I was just talking to Daylan in bed last night about this very thing! The funny thing is that it seems like just as much work if not more to get the kids to help out...any ideas on how to fix this? k. I am waiting by the computer for an answer! lol.not really...well....;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers