Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Doesn't it take just as much work or more??

My friend Eden read the last post and asked this question in regards to teaching your children to help. The answer is yes and no. I have always thought the very same thing. I can't stand it when I am stressed out and trying to clean or cook and the little people get involved! It is hard to manage their little hands and their clumsy efforts in a stressful situation. To avoid this, you have to plan ahead. You have to change your mentality. You are training them, not just getting the work, done. What surprised me was that as soon as the kids got involved they were also entertained. Keeping the kids busy while I tried to do housework was always my greatest challenge. This way, they are busy helping and it really takes no extra effort. They come to me and ask, "what else can I do Mom?" I may have to go back and finish their jobs here or there but it is still easier than doing the whole thing myself. My greatest fear is to be the type of martyr Mom who has to do EVERYTHING for her teenage children! It is our responsibility as parents to TEACH our children how to function as adults. I can't tell you how many times I hear my friends talking about how they do not know how to cook! I have been making one of my girls my dinner helper and the other my dish helper. The dinner helper gets to help me cook meals that week. It may only be a couple of meals but every little bit helps. One night, we had breakfast for dinner when we were running low on groceries. Rachel was my helper. She stirred the eggs in the pan while I watched. She then made all of the toast and buttered each slice! She felt so proud of herself! There are so many little things that the kids can do to help cook. The key is to start with a clean surface and as little outside noise as possible. That means putting on a movie for the younger kids or setting up a game in the other room. Trust me. Teaching the kids to help is easier in the long run and is an absolute must for your children's future!

3 comments:

  1. Niki, you amaze me! Could you cover the terrible two's fits and how to manage them with out killing your child? Love you, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be better at getting my kids involved. And learning how to cook, he, he.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for quoting me in your post!!! I don't know how to cook! yippee! looks like my kids will learn with me:)

    Love your mother blog... I will have something to contribute... one day.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers