Monday, May 24, 2010

Just over the next hill . . .

Dear Audrey, Rachel, Adam, and Claire,

I am writing this blog for you and today there is something that I want to say. I have had a sizable struggle with anxiety. It is not crippling as it can be for others but it is there nonetheless. I think every Mother has it in some degree. There is just something in me that has to worry. I worry about everything from the serious to the trivial to the completely illogical. Here is the point. It is not worth it to worry.
I have spent a great deal of time waiting; waiting for things to be more organized, life to slow down, for you to be older and more independant. Then, then I will have things together, I will have peace and stability and confidence. As time goes on, I am realizing that I will never arrive at any certain destination. Today may be all that matters. There are over a hundred cliches written on the matter, but for good reason.
There are always going to be reasons to worry. What is the cure for doubt and worry? FAITH. I used to think that having faith meant that I wouldn't worry because the bad thing that I was worried about wouldn't happen if I had faith. I am coming to understand that faith cures worry because we know that even if the bad thing does happen, it will be okay. We will find the strength to deal with what comes, the Lord will comfort us and teach us and we will come out on the other side stronger and wiser.
Having an eternal perspective is paramount to a happy life. Especially in this world of short sighted-ness. I am going to try to stop looking just over the next hill and start looking instead at the sunlight between the trees.
I hope that you will all have more faith than I. You will need it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers