Thursday, March 4, 2010

Giving up . . .

So . . . I have given up on flylady! I'm sure she is a wonderful person with some great ideas but I just don't have time to shine my sink people!!

She fed my super Mom complex and made me feel like I really could do it all! Not true. Maybe you can do it all but I cannot!

I've adopted a new way of doing things. It's called, "Do what you can and forget the rest." Brilliant, I know.

The trick with this new school of thought is letting go of guilt. You CANNOT have guilt for what you have not accomplished or it DOES NOT work!

My days have definitely been lighter.

Yesterday I finished a lot of laundry and did a whole lot of other things that I don't remember at the moment. Today, I vacuumed my stairs! I emptied my Trashcans! I swiffered my floors! I mopped my bathroom! . . . and of course all of the other mundane things that I usually do. I even managed to squeeze in a shopping trip just for fun! My trick? I felt like it.

Dangerous? Maybe. I have a lot of days that I don't feel like it.

My Dad shared a story with me that has turned out to have a lot of relevance.

"When he was young he had to weed the side of his house that was not sodded. This was a vast see of weeds that went on as far as the eye could see. (At least to his young eyes it seemed). Because he is a creative person, this chore was just too much! What a boring job, bend and pull, bend and pull. So, what did he do? He took out his trusty Hoe and divided the great rectangle that was his parents side-yard into a giant pie. He worked one sliver at a time until the whole pie was rid of it's green leafy topping. Some days, he would divide it into little squares, a patch work of ragweed and dandelions. After he was all finished, he would rake it into diagonal lines or throw in a couple of swirls just for kicks.

What is the relevance of this you ask?

Housework is my side-yard, and chores are my weeds. I can't pull the weeds the same way each time or my creative brain will suffer from stimuli starvation. Although I haven't figured out how to divide my house into a pie shape quite yet, I have given up on the bend and pull approach.

Here's to creative monotony!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers