Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Simple Words


As many of you know, my Adam is a man of few words. He struggles with words; both speaking words and listening to words. I never knew that it could be so difficult to "teach" my child to speak, a process that I took for granted as it naturally happened with my two girls. Adam has been in speech therapy now for a few months. He is making progress, slow and painful progress. Throughout this process, I have come to truly treasure the few words that are spoken by my sweet (sometimes not so sweet) little boy. Last night while I was reading to him and tucking him into bed, he said very simply, "sing." SING. Oh, of course I'll sing! It was a special moment. He was able to articulate a desire and I was able to fulfill his wish. Simple human interaction - profound progress.

1 comment:

  1. That brought a tear to my eye. I know how you feel. Now that Sage is talking more I am amazed at what she tells me. While bedtime can be a nightmare...I appreciate now that at least I know that she wants her baby, her drinky, and mommy to lay! Not that I can always lay as long as she wants me to, at least now I know why she is crying! Poor little thing! I love that Adam wanted you to sing. The first time Sage asked me to sing it melted my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment

"The Homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support this ultimate career."
C.S. Lewis

"The ultimate result of all ambition is to be happy at home." Samuel Johnson

Fellow Bloggers